Check out these sobering stats…
• An estimated 790 million people (11% of the world’s population) drink / “wash up” in dirty water.
• An estimated 1.8 billion people (25% of the world’s population) have no access to adequate sanitation.
• An estimated 3.85 billion people (50% of the world’s population) cannot obtain essential health services.
So how, pray tell, within our so-called enlightened and evolved 21st century society, could any of that even be possible?
The answer… in part…
Due to ill-advised, unwarranted deregulation and tax breaks / loopholes, the wealthiest of the wealthy, are amassing so much loot, it’d take thousands of lifetimes for them to “go broke”. Ergo, they wind up EITHER pissing it away by acquiring meaningless golden baubles and shiny trinkets, OR WORSE YET, hoard their bonanzas.
Yet, too many of the well-heeled remain adamantly opposed to spreading the wealth, in any way, to the poorest of the poor… i.e., those who slave away at non-living wage jobs and get taxed to death (net effect, the poor pay the rich folks’ taxes).
• I am NOT suggesting that all upper-crusters  grow snow-white beards,  don brilliantly red hued Christmassy costumes,  fly a fleet of reindeer powered sleighs above all economically depressed areas,  yell out their “HO HO HOs” and  air drop bundles of greenbacks upon the masses.
That would be totally impractical in some societies where paper
currency’s value is measured in the BTUs released, once ignited.
• What I am suggesting gets linked to the wisdom and truth released by this Lao-Tzu’s adage…
“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”
First, the prosperous people need to don their altruistic thinking caps… that headgear need not be Christmassy red but, why not cheer up our dreary world a bit, huh? Next, they need to apply Lao-Tzu, on the Grandest of Scales… the goal being to invite, incite and unite a worldwide workforce to labor towards the betterment of society.
OK… full disclosure time… in the beginning there’d need to be handouts… e.g. feeding the starving and curing the ailing. But, once quality of life standards are met, the hard work / real fun could actually begin. HEY! Who the hell says that work designed and dedicated to ward off societal disaster and death… can’t be a fun thing?
We’re talking about 21st century, forward thinking rivaling, perhaps exceeding, visionary John F. Kennedy’s Sixties era, man-on-the-moon-within-one-decade goal. A few specifics…
• How about the manufacture and installation of worldwide, renewable, energy generation systems where the power gets distributed by a planet-wide power grid. The construction of a world-class WWW could be piggybacked here, too.
• Let’s fund and train a whole new generation of medical professionals / researchers who’ll work, tirelessly, towards eradicating AIDS, Cancer and other dread diseases and genetic disorders.
You get the idea.
Naturally, there’d be fringe benefits, too. To cite just one…
Aspiring microbes that cause plagues and pandemics (on par or worse than Coronavirus / COVID19) would find it tough to coexist within an enlightened, evolved, ecologically and economically sound world!