Inflation, has been mercilessly skyrocketing our grocery store register receipts and hemorrhaging our bank balances. Assessing this succinctly, alliteratively and non-profanely…
It’s ALL distressing and downright depressing!
However, not all hope is lost. When it comes down to getting prices down (reining in corporate greed), I just might be onto something. Best of all, I cannot, possibly, be the first and only person to roll out a strategy where, via passive resistance, we can capitalize on this time-tested interrelationship…
Low demand leads to supply gluts, which necessitate price drops.
From the Check Out Lane, check out what appears to be working for me.
Let’s suppose that my shopping trip’s goal is to pick up only a couple loaves of bread.
- Upon arrival I’ll pass up the handheld baskets and smaller shopping carts; instead, roll out the biggest cart available.
- Next, with fake shopping list and real pen in hand, while rolling up and down the aisles, I’ll make frequent stops and scrutinize the shelves’ labels to discover my select items’ prices.
- Shake my head glumly / horizontally, while jotting down all of the outrageous amounts.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY, I’ll refrain from tossing any of those items into my cart.
OR… just to vary it up, a bit (especially if I’m in the mood to hone my acting skills)…
- I’ll place a few of these items in my cart, start to roll away; only to double back, moments later, to neatly “restock” their shelves.
WITH THE FINAL ACT to my slice of life, performance art nearing, I will wind up buying those two loaves of bread; making sure to select the lowest priced brands.
CONCLUSIONS… you gotta know that…
- Store Management would be inclined to peg me as some sorta Yelp Business Review poster.
- Store Security, monitoring their facility’s hidden cameras, will not only be on the lookout for shoplifters, but also be eagle-eying honest customers’ buying habits (inclusive of mine).
- Cashiers will be paying attention to the nearly empty carts (again, inclusive of mine).
- Patrons’ efforts to raise awareness of our dwindling funds, will be paying for small purchases with ONLY $1 Bills (occasionally subbing in some of the paper currency with the equivalent pocket change).
RESULTS (so far)… this past, late August, my flipping off their $14.99 sale price (for my favorite coffee brand) paid off, decidedly; by mid-September, resulted in a new, $9.99 price tag. Seeing how that’s been this brew’s rock bottom price (backdating to the aughts decade), I actually won this battle! Also wound up buying two canisters.
AS TO BE EXPECTED… there will be some occasions, where I’ll wind up so utterly bummed out by their greedy price gouging that I’ll spend $0.00; i.e., promptly roll my totally empty cart back towards the exit signs and leave; while, for the benefit of the security team, rolling my eyes / gesturing both hands off to my sides and upward.
While it’d certainly be tempting to exit while also whipping my dual, single finger salutes that’d be both inordinately nasty and inconsistent to my passive resistance stance (in other words, I wouldn’t want to sink down to their corporation’s level).
AT THAT JUNCTURE… the new game plan would involve driving off to my new destination; buying my daily bread at a far more reasonably priced, out-of-town grocery store.
GRANTED… it’d also be tempting to open up a Yelp Account and post this blog on that platform, too; to name by name, this price gouging grocery store…
HOWEVER… that potentially risks negatively impacting their corporate bottom line; resulting in layoffs of their entry level cashiers / service clerks; the Pandemic’s very front line heroes who’ve been risking their very lives while slaving away within our dirty, diseased world (Covid-19, Monkey Pox, Polio, et al).
BESIDES… their price gouging ways predate, by multiple decades, the pandemic, supply chain breakdowns, and psychopath Putin’s war. Beyond that, were the corporate small “g” gods to ever shutter this business, that’d leave my hometown sans a supermarket.
ANYWAY… there’s little need for any blogger / reviewer to take down their greedy SOB CEO. Considering his inflated ego and prices, his ouster could easily wind up a DIY event. Yep, both the resultant board of directors’ dismay and consumers’ backlash should suffice.
Be humans Vaxxed OR Unvaxxed, We
can still shed and spread the batcrap
crazy contagious coronavirus which,
in turn, spawns new variants; which,
in turn, could, eventually, render the
available vaccines worthless; which,
in turn, will drag out the pandemic’s
needless suffering, illness and death!
HENCE… this easy as pie, cover your
nose and pie-hole/hole-up heads-up:
Stay Publicly / Properly Masked!
Stay Safe at Home!