Owing to YouTube / corporate greed (their opting to over-monetize / oversell ad time), my boycott of this website now stands at Day #24 and still counting.
Granted, their poorly vetted, anything goes / anything for a buck commercials don’t usually playback when posted in my blogs and they can also be skipped when viewed over at that platform, BUT, as a man of principle, I knew the time had come for YouTube and me to part company.
To dredge out the swamp further, their ad content can range anywhere from annoying to offensive to subversive AND the wildly disproportional Ad to Clip run time ratio sucks. They actually see nothing wrong with long-winded sponsors’ insufferable 70 minute sales pitches prior to and DURING 10 minute videos!
It’s that DURING aspect, where things can get downright, hardcore; e.g., a liberal commentator is just about to really nail some insurrectionist, Fascist effer’s ass to the wall when a Trumper’s (intentionally counter programmed?) ad will (just happen to?) interrupt.
Folks, spewing freakin’ Fascist rhetoric is NOT a free speech issue. My gawd, no one, REPEAT NO ONE should ever have the freedom to overthrow America or any other Democracy / Liberty based society.
Look, I’m not saying, “SCRAM!” to anyone. But, if it takes a sadistic stranglehold to get you off, there are plenty of Fascist states throughout our mucked up world, that would welcome you with open arms and choking hands.
That duly noted, let’s return, now, to YouTube’s mucked up world.
I do get it! There’s no such thing as a “free lunch”. But why should their ad run times ever exceed conventional TV’s 30 – 60 second time limits?
Turning now to the content particulars / turn offs:
- Medical Professionals: While I have little doubt that many of these kindly doctors are dedicated to curing all that ails us, I must point out that not everyone suffers from the same maladies / is always in need of their books, products, devices, etc. And, sorry to say, a medical degree does not necessarily bestow Interwebs savviness onto them. To e.g. that, why can’t their ads thumbnail their lectures and then encourage prospective patients to click onto a link to watch their full presentations?
- Shirtless Fitness Freak: Forgive me for singling this dude out, but it’s his condescending, cocky attitude and even his very facial features which remind me of a bygone, lazy ass, Boss From Hell. To put it mildly, I was glad the day he got transferred to another district. Even if you’re fortunate enough not to have your own similar horror story to tell, why would anyone want to watch, let alone ever do business with him?
- Mail Order Bride Brokers: Right from the get-go, this type of “businessman” demeans womankind; attempts to reduce all who harbor two X chromosomes to a commodity. While that, in itself, is already degrading enough, we might even be talking about pimps prospering off of human trafficking.
- Investment Advisors: These greedy bastards pitch their get rich quick schemes, never once mentioning that, truth be told (and they’re hardly ever truthful) they actually owe their own accumulation of obscene wealth to their government bestowed, Too Big To Fail Status; a ranking that’s not typically available to poor commoners, such as you and me. Beyond that, never forget that making a “killing” in the Stock Market can, and oft does involve the human suffering of those who actually dwell / slave away at the bottom of the corporate ladder.
- Family Tree “Surgeons”: Actually, in the abstract, submitting a DNA sample to explore ones’ family roots does sound a bit intriguing and fun. But, what about unscrupulous bastards who WILL also supply your genetic profile to inordinately interested third parties? That could mean that, someday, your boss will say to you, “Sorry, you won’t be getting that promotion you were hoping for. You have this nasty little gene that suggests you’ll be dropping dead soon. And oh, btw, we’ve forwarded this same poop to your Health Insurance provider which means the only way they’ll ever cover you is if you pay an arm and a leg premiums.
- Immortality Merchants: If you fork over your hard earned bread, they promise to tell you how to live to be 120 years old. Folks, take it from this old geezer, typical corporations and politicians flat out hate people who are sixty-something and older. And, if we start living to be twice that age, they WILL start to hate us twice as much!
- End of the World Merchants: The food they’re selling is supposed have a 25 year shelf life? REALLY? Hmm, how the hell would they ever know that, for sure, when they’ve only been in business for what? Six months? As for their solar gadgets which can charge up our devices? Wake up everybody. If the world, as we know it, will soon be in crash and burn mode, do you really expect the cell phone towers and Internet to be up and running Business As Usual?
YouTube’s Business As Usual over-saturation of offensive ads has not only rendered their videos unwatchable, but this practice has also committed some even deadlier sins. They are silencing the learned YouTubers, who educate humanity, pro bono. They’re also stifling art; the very spark of human creativity, which is amply demonstrated by the mega-talented YouTube videographers.
A long, drawn out sigh…
Stay Publicly Masked!
Stay Safe at Home!