This being, being a bedazzled, naked eye and telescopically enhanced sky watcher, I’m aware that even the light polluted night sky can still invite the “Big Q”…
- Is there anybody out there?
Or another variation of this…
- Are we the only “intelligent” beings within this vast sea of stars?
Well, however we may phrase the sentiment, a renown, bygone astrophysicist and moonlighting screenplay writer thrice scripted a most suitable “A”…
“The universe is a pretty big place. If it’s just us, seems like an awful waste of space.”Carl Sagan/Ann Druyan • 1997 film Contact • read the storyline synopsis, spoilers included, HERE
Line delivered (in scripted order) by actors David Morse, Matthew McConaughey and Jodi Foster
Building on that premise, the inevitable follow up “Q” becomes…
- Why haven’t alien races made their presence known by… oh… say… paying us a visit?
Alas (long sigh) that “A” is inescapably obvious…
As ADVANCED as these extraterrestrials would need to be to have mastered interstellar space travel… well… it’s that very, in all caps, italicized A-word, which affords us the “Q’s” “A”.
I mean, what advanced, levelheaded civilization would ever opt to rub elbows with us (if they, indeed, have elbows)?
Not when they’d be fully aware of how too damned many Earthlings have abandoned:
- Peace: by empowering insane leaders who’ll have access to nuclear arsenals
- Liberty-Equality-Justice: by trying to install narcissistic, fascistic sore losers
- Civility: by giving free rein to serial killers, who shoot up schools & churches
- Public Health: by refusing to mask & vax-up during a deadly, global pandemic
- Ecology: by letting corporations prolong our suicidal, fossil fuel dependence
- Decency: by discriminating against, dehumanizing and alienating terrestrials
Even if interstellar travelers were invaders they’d still avoid us. I mean, why bother conquering the human race… ahem… when we’re doing a bang up job all on our very own, eh?
Stay Publicly / Properly Masked!
Stay Safe at Home!