On both of former President Barack Obama’s Inauguration Days, I felt a surge of pride… truly believed that We the People… who had finally flipped off America’s racist past… were now in the voting majority. As such, We were now destined to, forevermore, build upon the sturdy foundation of inclusiveness… best exemplified by Martin Luther King’s I’ve got a Dream Speech and Obama’s Change We Can Believe In.
Then came Inauguration Day 2017. The End.
And what will happen come Inauguration Day 2021?
Let’s consider this plausible sequence of events…
• The owned by Donald J. Trump, Senate Majority “Leader” Mitch McConnell and his right wing, underling legislators can all be counted on to never convict the impeached prez and, once bogusly exonerated and unduly emboldened. Donny will run amok and successfully run for reelection (due to his bff Vladimir Putin’s meddling and Electoral College math).
• With all 435 U.S. Representatives and 33 out of 100 U.S. Senators up for 2020 reelection, to rein in Trump, We would need to maintain a House Democratic majority AND establish a Senate super majority. But what would any of that even mean when we’ve seen how Trump already disses House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and defies all her attempts to hold him accountable? Hell, he’d just as easily flip off a Democratic Senate and do whatever he damned pleases.
• Since Trump has been swamp dredging to find nominees to load up the federal judiciary (inclusive of his two suck-up, SCOTUS cronies Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh), who’d ever rule against Donny? Again, he’d do as he damned pleases.
• Even if Trump loses his bid for re-election, the question then becomes, will he accept defeat? Will his sycophantic, barbaric, armed to the teeth, revolting supporters accept his defeat?
• The 78 days between Election Day and Inauguration Day could provide too damned much time for his goons to go on a bulldoze-America-down-to-rubble rampage (with Donny ecstatically and emphatically egging and cheering them on. He’d likely hole up in the White House and continue to do as he damned pleases.
Against that Trumpian nightmare backdrop… perhaps even inclusive of a Revolutionary War battlefield… how could We ever expect Martin Luther King’s impassioned pleas to ever blossom into a wide awake, American Dream come true?